22 May - 27 May: 12th EUROPEAN DRY GRASSLAND MEETING (EDGM)
FROM POPULATION BIOLOGY TO COMMUNITY ECOLOGY
Place: Mainz, Germany
Time: 22-27 May 2015
Palearctic dry grasslands have a long tradition of community analysis and description, leading to a detailed picture of these habitats, especially in Central Europe. In contrast, research on the biology of species and populations, such as pollination biology, dispersal ecology, demography or population genetics, is expanding rapidly. The connection between the two scientific disciplines is often weak although, actually, populations are part of communities and communities consist out of populations. We will therefore focus on this connection between population biology and community ecology for all dry grassland biota (invertebrates, vertebrates, non-vascular plants, vascular plants, fungi and lichens) as the overall topic of the next EDGM.
Specific topics of the conference
- Population biology of dry grassland species
- Diversity and community ecology of dry grasslands
- Management and conservation of dry grasslands
- Socio-cultural aspects of dry grasslands
The European Dry Grassland Meetings are organised annually by the European Dry Grassland Group (EDGG, http://www.edgg.org), a network of dry grassland/steppe researchers and conservationists from all disciplines. EDGG is affiliated with the IAVS (International Association for Vegetation Science) as a Working Group as well as with the EFNCP (European Federation for Nature Conservation and Pastoralism), and membership is free of charge.
For more information: http://www.efncp.org/news/news20140814.php. Deadline for abstracts is planned for February 2015.
We are looking forward to seeing you in Mainz, Germany!
Local Organizing Committee and EDGG Executive Committee
19 July - 24 July: The 58th IAVS Symposium
Brno, Czech Republic
2015 IAVS Symposium
- Venue: The IAVS symposium will be held in Brno, the 2nd largest city of the Czech Republic.
- Theme: “Large-scale vegetation patterns”.
- Excursions: Pre-symposium excursions of different lengths will be offered in the eastern Czech Republic. The post-symposium excursion will be in Western Carpathians (6 days) along an altitude gradient.
- Website: http://www.iavs2015.cz/
- Important Deadlines:
Special session proposals 15 January 2015
Abstract submission 15 March 2015
Early registration with reduced fees 15 April 2015
Registration with regular fees 15 May 2015
12 June - 17 June: The 59th IAVS Symposium
2016 IAVS Symposium
- Theme: "Conservation of Plant Communities: From Environmental Drivers to Ecosystem Services"
- Venue: The symposium will be held in the city of Pirenopois. The venue is likely to be the Congress Hotel, which has hosted several large meetings. This is in the central region of Brazil, in a Cerrado (savanna) landscape.
- Website: More information to come...